This week in Ottawa:
Valentine’s Day is on Tuesday, and Koba Entertainment and The Backyardigans are offering free Valentine’s Day e-cards for kids! The card includes a picture of The BackyardigansÂ and a personalized message.Â Just send a Valentine’s message to the backyardigans at info(at)thebackyardigansontour.com and your child’s message will be sent to them on Valentine’s Day.Â B.G. and Bonhomme have both sent emails to The Backyardigans and are anxiously awaiting their reply!
- The NAC’s Jaques HÃ©tu CelebrationÂ continuesÂ with a free concert at the National GalleryÂ on Thursday.Â Tickets can be picked up in person at the NAC box office.
- It’s Valentine’s Date Night at theÂ North Grenville Municipal Centre on Friday, and they’re showing Like CrazyÂ (PG13)Â â€“ these movies are usually Almost Frugal but the Municipal Centre is showing them for free until the new projector arrives;
- Brantwood Park’s Valentine Skate takes place on Friday;
- Catch the University of Ottawa OrchestraÂ in concert at Saint Bridig’s Centre for the Arts on Friday (Almost Frugal).
- Saturday is Hockey Day in Ottawa! Celebrate by joining in the fun at one of the City’s 237 outdoor hockey rinks;
- Children between the ages of 2-1/2 and 4 can join Billings Estateâ€™s Preschool Playdate, taking place on Saturday from 11 am to noon. This weekâ€™s theme is Seasons (Almost Frugal â€“ register by calling 613-247-4830);
- The Vanier Winter Carnival takes place on Saturday;
- The Shenkman Arts Centre’s FÃªte Frisson takes place on Saturday from 9 am to 1 pm – enjoy free skating, snow painting and ice carving, and the free OYP Theatre School’s OYPCapades show at 11 am;
- Lowes is offering a Kids Build and Grow Clinic on Saturday (build aÂ Valentine card creator). Register by calling 613-830-6370 for the Orleans storeÂ or 613-836-3971 for the Kanata store;
- Kids can also build a keepsake box during the Home Depot’s Kids Do-It-Yourself workshop on Saturday (online registration required);
- At 1pm, kids of all ages can make Valentine’s cards using the ancient art of quilling at the Vanier Museoparc.
- Celebrate Valentine’s Day by joining the February Fling at Fairfields (3080 Richmond Road)Â from 1 to 4 pm.
- The Beaver Cup 4 on 4 Pond Hockey Festival takes place on the Rideau Canal Friday through Sunday, and includes the 2nd Annual Media and Celebrity Pond Hockey Game at 1 pm on Sunday;
- If you’re looking for indoor Winterlude fun, head over to the Currency Museum and check outÂ Wintermuse on Saturday and Sunday;
- Animal Tracking on Snowshoes, a freeÂ guided tour through Gatineau Park (snowshoes included!) takes place on Saturday and Sunday;
- Kids can write Valentines for veterans in the lobby of the War Museum on Saturday and Sunday.
Valentine’s DayÂ Tuesday:
- Spend a romantic evening stargazing at the Museum of Science and Technology;
- Join the Friends of Library and Archives Canada for a Valentine’s Day special presentation, From Love to LustÂ (For Grown-Ups – online registration required);Â
- Find moreÂ frugal Valentine’s fun inÂ this guest post I wrote for Local Tourist Ottawa last year – though AmÃ©lie isn’t playing at the Bytowne this year,Â Casablanca is playing at 6:50 pm on Valentine’s Day.
- Catch a movie at Rainbow Cinemas at the St. Laurent Centre â€“ this weekâ€™s family-friendly showingsÂ includeÂ The Muppets, Hugo, Happy Feet Two andÂ Puss In BootsÂ (Almost Frugal); and
- Find moreÂ suggestionsÂ inÂ the monthly calendarÂ forÂ February and in my Year-round Activities listings.
My latest contest is up – you could win four tickets to see Richard Scarry’s Busytown Busy! Details can be found onÂ the Frugal Fun OttawaÂ contest page.
Happy Hockey Day, happy Valentine’s Day, and have a great week!